11.05.2007

Dusting off the old soapbox

My soapbox was getting lonely, and I had a little time on my hands. I decided to peruse the internet, giver of wonderful things, and found THIS. From this article, we get the following important information:
1. I think that the fact that a group of their peers decided that it was not okay to wave signs at someone's funeral decrying their life is spectacular. Let the judgment of life come from your creator, not your neighbor.
2. The fact that the ruling will be appealed is a no-brainer. The restitution is over three times the value of the church's assets. Duh. Such a pity that it is.

The fact of the matter is that a man died while in service to the United States of America. What does the pastor of the church that led the rally have to say about the whole thing? "[The ruling is] going to be reversed in five minutes," he said. This case, he added, "will elevate me to something important," as it draws more publicity to his cause.

Because this case is clearly about you, Herr Crazy Church Founder.

...and now for the liturgical portion of this afternoon's message...

Take this in the context that it's offered: my church does this, other churches do this, and apparently Herr Crazy Church Founder does this too, by his above message.

Let me begin by giving two definitions, taken from the Random House Dictionary...
1. Liturgy: n. a particular arrangement of services; or a collection of formularies for public worship
2. Worship: n. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred; v. to render religious reverence

Nowadays, when one attends church, it is with an expectation of entertainment. My assistant pastor is one of the worst about this; he is always catching the worship committee with questions like, "Why do we sing so much slow music?" or "I want to sing faster stuff."

This would be moderately acceptable coming from a parishioner, but from staff? Nay. In becoming staff at a church, one understands the difference between "going to church" and "attending worship" -- there is a reason we call what we do "WORSHIP." Namely, it is because we focus on revering God and reflecting our obedience to Him in ALL that we do. When the body of Christ comes together to worship, not everyone will have his or her way each Sunday. I'll be the first to tell you that every song that comes out of my piano is NOT one of my favorites. I hate "Victory in Jesus," but I suck it up and play it for the sake of those in the congregation who aren't as averse to it as I.

The comment from the preacher in the article just riles me up. Mister, you are a pastor. This presumably means that you have some kind of education, even if it is only from the Online Seminary. You, of all people in the world, should understand that worship is about God, not about you. Anything you do that brings your church into the limelight for acting from whims of man is NOT God's intention. Waving anti-gay signs at a worship service of respect for the dead is NOT a method by which to ingratiate yourself to God. A wedding, just as a funeral, is a WORSHIP service, honoring members of God's holy church in special times of their lives. Scripture is read, His name is invoked, and people are, in this case, comforted by knowing that their son is in a better place. It is not your right to judge that person (whom you never knew as a living soul) by condemning his lifestyle at the worship service commemorating his life.

And doing so and expecting to get public support for your church is a whole new level of depravity that I don't even want to touch.

Sir, as a Christian and a fellow church staff member, I am ashamed to call you my brother in Christ. I won't judge you, but just remember that Jesus told his followers that the most important concept of any is to love each other as yourself, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

If this is your conception of brotherly love, don't bother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phred the Phuctard isn't saying the dead soldier was gay, he was saying the soldier died because we put up with /other/ people who are gay. Which, to me, is even worse--he's not even protesting the guy he doesn't like, just sounding off as a general git.

Dave

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that a group of individuals professing to be Christians could have so little love for their fellow man as to make a mockery of one man's extreme sacrifice for his family, for his community, and for his country. Perhaps I could suggest a biblical passage for them to read, 1 Corinthians 13, especially verse 1 and 2: "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbol. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understanding of all mysteries and all knowledge, though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." I'm so sorry, Phelps family, your message is meaningless if it doesn't come from a heart filled with love. You've missed the point entirely. Mr. Snyder, know that we will miss your son's continued presence here upon this earth, but look forward very much to meeting him in heaven. God bless you and your family as you struggle through the pain of your son's loss and the additional pain of dealing with wrong minded souls. TexSis