6.06.2006

Bored

One of the biggest blehs about being a government slug is the complete lack of control you have over your own time. For example, my boss is out of the office yesterday and today as is the person who gives me work when my boss doesn't. This leaves me with approximately nothing to do. I say approximately because I did have to send a fax yesterday. I work infinately faster than anyone else in my office, so I'm rarely behind, and when everyone's gone, this becomes a problem. I'm sure I shouldn't complain about having to do not-a-lot at work, but it's frustrating when I've done every conceivable thing in the office, and it takes an hour.

Don't get me wrong; I love where I work, and the people here are *mostly* great. There are a couple who enjoy making my life miserable, but the fact that they micromanage has little to do with me individually, or even my section individually. I'm just so *bleep*ing frustrated about sitting on my tail reading websites all day or trying to act busy...here's a heartfelt GRRR to all you who work. I'm envious, but I need this job so I can study. But it's summer. No school=nothing to do all day. It's a vicious cycle.

I love to read, but I can't because if people see me, they tell their people that I don't work and I get in trouble for not working, then I tell those people that I'd love to work, just give me something to do, and I get in trouble for being a smartass. Argh.

I feel like my brain is turning to mush. I do puzzles, quests, and the like to try to stay intellectually stimulated while at work. Somewhere out there has to be the utopian job--always busy and not with busy work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I get some well logs you can file! Come join us in the well log basement of doooooooom!

Anonymous said...

I love to read, but I can't because if people see me, they tell their people that I don't work and I get in trouble for not workingProject Gutenberg. Looks like work, and you get to read great literature to boot!