9.04.2007

A moment of *profound* introspection

Some people would call my bluff on this whole post, but you and I know who you are and just shut it, OK?

With a loud voice that is usually talking/singing/inflicting wisdom upon others, sometimes it is missed, but as a musician, usually my soul speaks loudest through song. The tonality and timbre wrought by my hands speak louder than my voice, and tell more about me than my snarky anecdotes.

Usually weather is a moderate determinant of my mood/choice of music, and the change from summer to fall always makes me maudlin. Autumn is my favorite season--the crisp air, the bite of the clear, cold evenings before they become the norm, the unshakable feeling that another year is marching to a close (usually without me)--the former make me happy, and the latter makes me sad. I spend a great deal of time/energy between October and December contemplating meaning, purpose, and idealism. Several who know me well have noted the difference in my attitude in the fall, going into the holidays, and have mentioned it. Now it's (sort of) explained.

This morning, I was driving to work through the early-morning pre-autumn haze zoning to a soundtrack that in turns seems to be rousing or soothing depending on the situation. Those that know me well would recognize the soundtrack; those who don't would likely not understand. This morning, one song in particular spoke to me as purely as if it were my own. It echoed my feelings toward the day -- toward the season. The keening wails at the beginning, countered by pure melodic tonality. The shape of the melody, while using rhythm to suspend reality and forward motion. The subtle fading from tonality back into the sighs and wails, and the gradual slip into the next movement, characterized with a swell to a boys choir and complete timbre and quality change through a pipe organ hymn. Fantastic stuff, that.

When I get home, I may post the song. If not I'll let you live in wonder. It doesn't really matter all that much which song it is--I'm sure that each of you have a song that is the same to you.


No comments: