8.23.2007

Your government at work

So I was on my way to the good ole' State Capitol yesterday, and I saw the funniest series of classic slug work going on EVER. I had my camera but it was lunchtime, so there was nowhere to stop and avoid getting turned into roadkill...pity! So instead, I'll try to paint (a rather inadequate) picture for you.

On the north side of the State Capitol, there is a grassy median about two miles long that is built up so it looks like a mini-hill in the middle of the road. On the far north end of the hill-median, 7 workers were busy digging a hole. Well, truthfully, 1 was digging the hole and 6 consultants were standing by in a half-circle surrounding him. They all wore Day-Glo clothing and safety vests. The consultants didn't even have tools!!! I almost wrecked the car laughing.

Then I came over the hill. And almost wrecked the car again laughing.

Remember when you were in kindergarten or day care and every time you were going somewhere outside the complex, the teacher had a rope that you held/tied to your wrist so that no child was left behind? (HA! Pun totally intended...)

The second mile of grassy median is downhill toward the Capitol building. From the top of the hill, workers were lined up single file pulling a large flat tube (looked like a ribbon). Just like kindergarten children, there were long spaces of no people, then clumps of 5-10 in a 20 foot section. This was stretched along three turning medians (about a half-mile), so there were about 30 cars waiting for the line of workers to get to where they were going. LOL!!!!!! I almost wet myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No wonder our taxpayers look at state employees as freaking morons, who are lazy and have no ambition or talent. Geeeez!

Jannette